Presented by Melanie Mecca
Director, Data Management Product and Services, CMMI Institute
- Click here to view/download Melanie’s presentation slides (pdf)
- Handout on sample business term standards (docx)
- Handout on sample business glossary (docx)
Data Management Maturity – Why We Need It and How It Can Propel You to DM Leadership
Our industry is continually building capabilities based on its considerable accomplishments over the past decades. Some of the (roughly) sequential milestone markers that most organization share include: data design, data administration, data architecture / warehousing, data quality and governance, MDM, and predictive analytics using both structured and unstructured data.
So why haven’t organizations attained DM perfection? As we know, the data layer in the vast majority of organizations grew project by project, typically to meet specific needs of a line of business. Best practices were not usually shared, useful work products languished in project repositories, etc. – and above all, there was no universal mandate to manage data as a critical corporate asset.
The Data Management Maturity (DMM) Model’s primary goals are to accelerate organization-wide DM programs by: providing a sound reference model to quickly evaluate capabilities, strengths and gaps; accelerating business engagement; launching a collaborative vision / strategy; and identifying key initiatives to extend existing capabilities while building new ones – leading to efficiency, cost savings, creativity, and improved data quality.
In this seminar, we’ll address:
- Data Management Capabilities and Maturity Evaluation
- The DMM in action – interactive exercise with the Business Glossary – rate your organization!
- Case study examples – how organizations have accelerated their progress
- How to leverage Data Management Maturity to empower your career.
Continue reading “November 2018: Data Management Maturity”